Sunday, July 8, 2012

Grammar and Punctuation Rule Book

I didn't get nearly as much done as I had hoped today. Thanks to Lifetime Movie Network, I ended up watching 2 movies today. Yikes!! But I can honestly say that today was the first time I laid around and watched t.v. this summer plus I didn't get out of bed until 10:30. Ooops!

Anywho, last night while the Mr. watched the race (Yes, I know embarrassing. He is a NASCAR fan and I am...NOT!!) I worked on my Grammar and Punctuation Rule Book. I am sooooo happy with the way it turned out!

I designated 15 minutes, one day a week, to focus on grammar and punctuation rules. Yea, I know what your thinking...only 15 minutes, one day a week, to teach grammar. Don't worry I'm not crazy. My littles will still be exposed to grammar and punctuation throughout the day at centers, reading groups, writing workshop. This is just an extra supplement.

That 15 minutes will be used souly for the rule books that I created. I plan on introducing or reviewing a rule, modeling how to write a sentence using the rule, and then my littles will write a sentence of their own and illustrate it.

I did something very similar when I was student teaching 3 years ago (omg, it seems like just yesterday) and I saw great results from it.




Here is what an example page looks like. There are 25 rules total. This is great practice for first graders and can be used as a review for second graders. In the packet, I also included cover pages so that a complete book can be made.

Your littles will be exposed to basic sentence structure, nouns, plural nouns, proper nouns, verbs, contractions, compound words, pronouns, capitalization, punctuation, and MORE!!!

Get it here at my TpT store!!!



I also finished the second 100 HFWs Word Wall Cards in the Bright Stripes.

Get your set here at my TpT store!!!


Yours in Teaching,

10 comments:

  1. Love the Grammar Rule Book! My husband is a NASCAR fan too, along with every other sport out there! :)
    I'm your newest follower. I'd love it if you stopped by my blog some time.

    Marissa
    WILD About First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you like the Grammar Rule Book! Check it out in my TpT Store! I will definitely stop by your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the grammar rule book! I should make one for upper grades! Thanks for the inspiration!

    Layla

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelli!
    I also teach first grade & I am your newest follower.
    Stop by sometime.
    :)
    Tamera
    http://myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to blogging!!! :) Have fun!

    Amanda
    http://www.oneextradegree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I nominated you for an award! Stop by my blog to get it. :)

    Marissa
    WILD About First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came here thinking this would be a good thing to have for my kids. But then I read the post. It's ironic that in a post about grammar, you mistake "your" for "you're" (I know what "your" thinking), and using it "souly" for the rule books. I think you meant "solely". I'm sorry, but if you want to teach grammar, you should move past 5th grade grammar first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to take the power of thanking you for that specialized guidance I've constantly enjoyed viewing your blog.Grammarly reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you strive to master the English grammar, but some rules are of high complexity for you, this source offers numerous comprehensible materials using which you can enhance your level of knowledge considerably http://royalediting.com/these-grammar-books-can-be-your-bible-of-english

    ReplyDelete