Thursday, July 4, 2013

ThrowBack Thursday...My Grammar and Punctuation Rule Book

I decided to link up my best TpT Seller, My Grammar and Punctuation Rule Book.

This is one of the best things that I have implemented in my classroom. By using this book I know that I have covered all the grammar and punctuation rules that I need to.

Each week, starting the first week of school, I introduce one new grammar or punctuation rule. The rules start out with the simplest first and then get harder as the weeks go by. There are 25 different rules.

I am also currently working on extension activities to go with my rule book.

So far I have come up with these: Click on the pictures to get your copy!


 
 
 
 
Here is my original post!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Sunday, July 8, 2012


Grammar and Punctuation Rule Book

I didn't get nearly as much done as I had hoped today. Thanks to Lifetime Movie Network, I ended up watching 2 movies today. Yikes!! But I can honestly say that today was the first time I laid around and watched t.v. this summer plus I didn't get out of bed until 10:30. Ooops!

Anywho, last night while the Mr. watched the race (Yes, I know embarrassing. He is a NASCAR fan and I am...NOT!!) I worked on my Grammar and Punctuation Rule Book. I am sooooo happy with the way it turned out!

I designated 15 minutes, one day a week, to focus on grammar and punctuation rules. Yea, I know what your thinking...only 15 minutes, one day a week, to teach grammar. Don't worry I'm not crazy. My littles will still be exposed to grammar and punctuation throughout the day at centers, reading groups, writing workshop. This is just an extra supplement.

That 15 minutes will be used souly for the rule books that I created. I plan on introducing or reviewing a rule, modeling how to write a sentence using the rule, and then my littles will write a sentence of their own and illustrate it.

I did something very similar when I was student teaching 3 years ago (omg, it seems like just yesterday) and I saw great results from it.



Here is what an example page looks like. There are 25 rules total. This is great practice for first graders and can be used as a review for second graders. In the packet, I also included cover pages so that a complete book can be made.

Your littles will be exposed to basic sentence structure, nouns, plural nouns, proper nouns, verbs, contractions, compound words, pronouns, capitalization, punctuation, and MORE!!!

Get it here at my TpT store!!!



I also finished the second 100 HFWs Word Wall Cards in the Bright Stripes.


Get your set here at my TpT store!!!


 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Yours in Teaching,

No comments:

Post a Comment