Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Word Work Menu {Freebie}

Today I would like to talk about Daily 5. More specifically my Word Work station. 

Daily 5 was my littles favorite part of the day. It was also mine too. I liked how little planning it took but yet it was so effective. My littles especially like Word Work.

My Word Work station started off a little shaky last year. First, I was used to the ability levels of second graders. It was definitely an experience adjusting to beginning of the year first graders. I had very little Word Work center activities that were developmentally appropriate.

By November everything was starting to fall into place. I had great hands on activities and my littles were really enjoying the Word Work.

December was even better. My littles were really aware of my expectations and they were completing the work with reasonable speed and accuracy.

Now, January and on things started to go backwards but I blame myself. The activities got boring for them and I didn't not do my part in changing them out often.

So, here's my solution. (Of course Pinterest inspired)....

I created my version of a first grade Word Work Menu. The menu consists of all the Word Work activities that will be available all year long. {Each month I will put out other activities coordinated to the current month.}

Each little will get a Word Work Menu to keep in their green work folder. They will color in each box as they complete each activity. This will keep my littles from doing the same activity every day.

The menu is pretty self explanatory. Check it out and tell me what you think.


The Silly Sentences is a sentence building activity that I created for my Word Work station. Click on the link to get your copy. The littles really enjoy creating silly sentences. The Read It, Write It, Stamp It! is an activity that I purchased on TpT last year but never really used.
 
I did create some recording sheets to go with my Word Work Menu. I'm not too sure if I really like them or not. They don't exactly meet my "cuteness" standards.

 




My Word Work Menu is a freebie in my TpT store. Make sure you get your own copy so that your Word Work station gets started on the right foot.
 
 
I love to hear your feedback.
 
Yours in Teaching,

21 comments:

  1. That looks great Kelli! I use a rubric or menu with both my 2's and yr 3's when I use daily 5. It is a great way to keep track of what they are doing in word work and also to make sure those littles are not going back to the same activity again and again. Love it!
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelli. I am Pauline at First Grade by the Sea and I am nominating you for the Liebster Award. This award is to recognize blogs with less that 200 followers. So pop over to my blog and find out more.
    Pauline
    First Grade by the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I've new to your blog and love all you daily 5 stuff! I'm moving to first grade this fall and really want to do Daily 5 but it's hard getting it all started and know where to start, so thank you!

    Erika
    Teach Train Triumph!

    ReplyDelete